CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Feb 17, 2011

Myofascial Pain

It's amazing what you learn when your health is on the blink! I am learning all sorts of things I didn't know about muscles and what is called the fascia. A lot of people with Fibromyalgia also have Myofascial pain, but they are not the same kind of pain. I went to physical therapy yesterday specifically for myofascial pain relief and feel like I have a little better understanding of what is going on in my body. You can read a brief explanation of myofascial pain here. I would probably butcher any explanation I could give, so you are better off reading up on it yourself if interested:) All I can say is that it HURTS!! The physical therapy hurt, but it was kind of a good hurt~if that makes any sense. She told me I would probably be sore afterwards and she was right! She also said that what she did on me was 'light' because she didn't want to hurt me even more. If that was light, I would have died from whatever she considers 'heavy'. Don't get me wrong, I trust her in that what she did will eventually help, it's just that sometimes things may feel worse before they get better. I really did like the therapist and she was very knowledgeable. I will be seeing her once a week as well as another therapist that I have already been seeing for a while.

Due to having a better understanding of myofascial pain, I also now have a better understanding as to why I CAN NOT do yoga! Myofascial pain can NOT be stretched out! It has to be released or manipulated by someone else. That explains why every time I would try to stretch to relieve my pain, it would only make it worse! This gives me hope that after some time with therapy, I will be able to do yoga again! I don't know how long it will take, but if I'm learning anything through illness, it's to be patient. Both of the therapist that I see are recommending that I not do any kind of exercise other than swimming for a while. So, I am going to a warm water therapy pool today and I CAN'T WAIT!!! See, there are some good things that come from having limitations:)

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are looking at all the bright sides of the frustrations!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete